Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Your Inner Atheist

 I like what Daniel Taylor has to say about doubt and faith:

“The Skeptical Believer. No, it’s not a contradiction in terms. It’s a simple, everyday reality for many people of faith” ("The Skeptical Believer: Telling Stories to Your Inner Atheist")

As one reviewer wrote, "It’s struggling with faith and in the midst of faith, not denying faith. It’s seeking to make sense of faith."

I was an atheist for several years before coming face to face with the good news of Jesus. After choosing to believe, I spent years trying to either ignore or silence my inner atheist, but about 15 years ago, I started to listen once again and to engage in that internal dialogue. I now face my inner atheist with humility, honesty and respect. It challenges me and I challenge it. Sometimes, it is a dialogue, but can easily move into a discussion and even a debate.  

There are believers who honestly think that true faith never doubts, but for me, faith and doubt are not mutually exclusive. In fact, in my search for an authentic faith, I must acknowledge my inner atheist which, in reality, has inspired and energized me. 

If you can relate, and you know you also have an inner atheist, I hope what I post on my new website ("The Musings of a Skeptical Believer") will help you in some small way to acknowledge that questioning voice and grow from authentically engaging with your doubts, questions and concerns. 

IMO, being a faithful follower is not like being pregnant; that is, either you are or you're not. Faith is a journey with many twists and turns, highs and lows, joys and disappointments, convictions and doubts. To pretend otherwise is to not live in the real world and to miss the blessing of having a truly authentic faith. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Introducing My "Skeptics Believe" Website

Greetings: If you are one of the readers/subscribers to this blog, you've noted I've not published any posts here since early March....