Thursday, January 21, 2021

Decency & Dignity toward All

 Well, it’s done; a new administration is working out of the White House now! I am neither a Democrat nor a Republican. I have no party affiliation whether in the U.S. or Canada (i.e., Conservative, NDP or Liberal). I care about politics and politicians because what is done in our nations’ capitals impacts me, my family, and my country and has a direct impact on the world I will leave behind for my children and grandchildren (their children to come). 

I don’t know how it will all work out with President Biden as leader of the still most influential democratic nation in the world. But one thing I hope he and his administration will hold to unswervingly is to treat all people, regardless of differences and disagreement, with "decency and dignity!" We all need to feel and to give respect. We need to believe we are heard, even if what we present is not implemented. And we need to hear disagreement that is communicated without judging our motives. We all want a “more perfect union” but we have varying and even opposing ideas as to what that means and what is involved in working toward that goal. 

What is true politically is also true religiously. I hold to certain beliefs and convictions about God, Jesus, the Bible and the church. Also, as a Religious Studies graduate (M.A. from UBC), I have certain understandings even of those religions that I do not personally embrace. However, I don’t know everything and I know almost nothing with absolute certainty about my own faith or that of other Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, etc.  Therefore, it is my responsibility to communicate my beliefs with humility and listen to the beliefs of others respectfully and with genuine curiosity and without any hint of judgement or condemnation. I may disagree, even strongly, but I can, and I must, treat all others, regardless of differences and disagreement, with the decency and dignity I would want to feel from them. 

We call that the golden rule: Do to others what you want them to do to you (see Matthew 7:12; Luke 6:31). Almost every religion has some version of that “rule.” And to take it one step further, as President Bush said yesterday in regard to achieving greater unity that it comes down to “loving our neighbour as we love ourselves.” And it’s not a unity of sameness that we are striving to achieve, but unity in the midst of diversity. 

Christians, are we listening at all to what the Spirit is saying? Will we rise to the challenge of treating all other human beings with the decency and dignity, with which we all want to be treated? Are we willing to truly strive to love all other human beings (our neighbours in the globalized community), especially those in our immediate sphere of interaction and influence? For most of us it is relatively easy to love those with whom we share more in common. The real test of our commitment to the golden rule is whether we can treat those with whom we share less (and maybe very little) in common, whether politically, culturally, philosophically, or religiously. 

Am I willing to embrace my fellow human beings––figuratively and literally (post COVID)–– and inject large measures of decency and dignity into all of my relationships and even casual interactions? If we can do that, we will go a long way to ending (or at least keeping at bay) the “uncivil war” that is going on, not just in the U.S.A., but in every country around the world. However, my fellow Christians, if we can’t do that with each other, regardless of different denominational and/or personal beliefs and practices, then we are part of the problem and not part of the solution. If we can only love those with whom we agree, and we discount the rest as unworthy, then we are perpetrating the “uncivil war.” We are each either part of the solution or we are part of the problem. Which am I? Which are you?

“From the arrogance that thinks it knows all truth, O God of truth, deliver me.” (Mishkan T’Filah)

“Now with the wisdom of years I try to reason things out, and the only people I fear are those who never have doubts. Save us all from arrogant men, and all the causes they're for. I’m must not that sure anymore.” (Billy Joel)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Introducing My "Skeptics Believe" Website

Greetings: If you are one of the readers/subscribers to this blog, you've noted I've not published any posts here since early March....