Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Life is Difficult But...

I was watching one of those new breakfast programs late in November 2020 and I saw a brief interview with Charlie Mackesy, the author of a book, "The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse." He came across as a very humble, unassuming and authentic person. I immediately thought, "This would be a really good, and unexpected Christmas gift for my wife." So, I ordered it right away.

It was supposed to arrive sometime between Dec. 15 – 30. When it hadn't arrived on time, I emailed the distributor who offered a full refund. Sara found a local copy and we picked it up. She finally had one of her Christmas presents. Then, a few days later, the copy I ordered arrived. So I contacted the distributor to find out what they wanted me to do. They wrote back immediately and told me to keep it as a complementary copy. So I have my own copy now. It is truly a delightful and thought provoking book, a skillful combination of deep thoughts, humour and creative art. 

Today, as certain physical symptoms intensify, challenging my emotional state, one page in Mackesy's book captured my attention. So I took some time to reflect and consider my day in light of the following:


Yes, for me today, life is quite difficult, but I am loved! My wife, my family (sons, daughters-in-law, grandchildren) and my friends do love me. I can't imagine how I would not completely crash on the most difficult days if it were not for the persevering love I feel and see in my closest relationships.

The other day, as I struggled to stand up straight, with a heart full of empathy, Sara said something like, "I wish love could ease your pain." We looked at each other and agreed, "But it does!" 

Many years ago (1984), Foreigner recorded the song, "I Want to Know What Love Is" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3Pr1_v7hsw). Part of the lyrics read: 

Now this mountain I must climb,
Feels like the world upon my shoulders.
But through the clouds, I see love shine.
It keeps me warm as life grows colder.

In my life, there's been heartache and pain.
I don't know if I can face it again.
Can't stop now, I've traveled so far 
To change this lonely life.

I wanna know what love is
I want you to show me.
I wanna feel what love is.
I know you can show me.

Almost two millennia before Foreigner, these words were written; not as song lyrics, but as guidance for a community of Jesus followers: 

"In this we know the love, because that one [Jesus] for us his life he laid down. And we must for the brothers [and sisters] lay down [our] lives. But whoever has the goods of the world and sees his brother [or sister] having need and who shuts down his compassion from him, how does the love of God abide in him? Children, let us not love in word nor in tongue but in deed and truth" (1 John 3:16–18, my translation).

Yes, life is often difficult, especially now in our present circumstances. But if we love and are loved, together it is possible to persevere and to endure and contribute to a world that so needs to know what love is. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Introducing My "Skeptics Believe" Website

Greetings: If you are one of the readers/subscribers to this blog, you've noted I've not published any posts here since early March....