Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Holding the Tension of Opposites

I've been striving for an 'authentic faith' for most of my life. However, since 2003 - a year that is meaningful to many of my readers - I've been doing so in a very conscious, deliberate and determined way. And the result has been very freeing.
In my striving, the key practice that has allowed me to keep (and even strengthen) my faith and yet, at the same time, acknowledge, challenge and critically examine the fundamentals of my faith, is referred to, by mental health professionals, as "holding the tension" (see quotes below).
One quick example is that I have learned how to hold to the belief that the Bible, as we have it, is "the word of God" while at the same time I acknowledge, challenge and critically examine the inconsistencies, contradictions and inaccuracies exposed by an unbiased reading of the Biblical text.
In other words, I've come to a place where I've accepted that much which has to do with my faith does not require an immediate "either/or" decision. I can hold to my beliefs while critically examining the questions and concerns that I'd buried in a locked room in my mind for many years.
I hope, over the next few weeks, to write more about the specific issues that I am "holding in tension" and how that practice has helped me to understand and focus my faith.



"Holding the Tension" Quotes:
"By learning to hold the tension of the opposites, we stretch and grow bigger. There is more space for seemingly opposite ideas, feelings and behaviours to peacefully coexist. We become less rigid and more flexible, less judgmental and more tolerant, less fearful and more loving." (www.psychologytoday.com, June 25, 2018).

"Out of tension flows a creative discussion and differences of opinion that force us to re-evaluate our viewpoints and emphases to ensure that we’re thinking biblically and effectively." (www.pastors.com; Sept. 25, 2011)

"We all must struggle over the moral and ethical issues, and the feelings of those we care about, but in the final analysis, we only have this life to live (in this body and this personality). Many people have a tendency to shove this struggle underground and deny its existence. This only causes further suffering. Rather, we need to embrace the opposites and hold the tension until our way becomes clear. Don’t move away from it, move towards it." (www.psychotherapyinsights.ca)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Introducing My "Skeptics Believe" Website

Greetings: If you are one of the readers/subscribers to this blog, you've noted I've not published any posts here since early March....