Friday, August 30, 2019

What Does the Old Testament Say About Homosexuality?

I'm in the process of researching and writing a grad paper for my OT exegesis course at Trinity Western on a very controversial and emotional topic: What Does the Old Testament Say About Homosexuality, and Why Does It Matter Today? 

Much ink has been spent by scholars in the last 30 years to explore and expound on this topic. After examining the crucial texts in the Hebrew Bible (and there are really only four, though some would include an additional 2 or 3), I've read literally dozens of scholarly (and popular) articles and books espousing their "truth" on the subject representing every point on the continuum of opinion. 

Once my paper is in final form, I plan on posting it a section at a time. These should begin to appear on this blog by the end of September at the latest, and hopefully earlier. I know that not everyone will agree with my conclusions, but I hope to be able to present a cogent, readable and clear rationale for my position. Of note, this paper will not include what the New Testament says about homosexuality (that will require additional research and writing) though there will be some brief references to the NT texts in question.

Whatever position you presently hold, whatever conclusions you have drawn, I hope you will use these postings as an opportunity to re-examine the subject as objectively as possible. Even if you don't like my paper, I will provide references and a bibliography that will lead you to sources written by both affirming and non-affirming scholars. Below are two quite readable, yet conflicting presentations: Gushee has changed his mind from non-affirming to affirming. Wold is clearly and boldly non-affirming.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Introducing My "Skeptics Believe" Website

Greetings: If you are one of the readers/subscribers to this blog, you've noted I've not published any posts here since early March....